Gitlab upgrade from 2.x.x to 3.1.0

Just some quick notes on Gitlab upgrade I did today. Some serious issues arose, due to me not being careful. Somehow part of the users managed to enter SSH keys while upgrade was taking place. Still don’t understand how, but some of the keys ended up having invalid content in /home/git/.ssh/authorized_keys and in /home/git/.gitolite/keys/[name of the invalid key]. This manifested in a very strange manner:

  • a part of the users had no issues using Gitlab
  • and others couldn’t clone or push to projects they have been given access to in Gitlab web

After loosing myself for quite a bit, finally this Gitlab issue led me in the right direction. After comparing keys in database and in above two locations, I found the differences and deleted the surplus keys and also invalid ones. I seems that Gitlab or Gitolite probably “loop”  through keys somewhere and this loop breaks for users below the invalid keys, or works OK for those above.

And a short recommendation for future reference: backup everything !!!

References:

https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq/wiki/From-2.9-to-3.0

https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq/wiki/Update-gitolite

https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq/blob/stable/doc/install/installation.md (latest setup instructions)

http://sitaramc.github.com/gitolite/install.html#migr (migrating Gitolite)

Advertisements
Tagged ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: